Note: Only Berkeley and Stanford sites are accepting applications for 2015. USC and UCLA sites are not admitting a new cohort.
2015 SMASH Academy Dates
What is SMASH? ¿Qué es SMASH?
- A three-year program that includes a 5-week summer math and science enrichment program and year-round academic support.
- For low-income high school students of color under-represented in STEM.
- Focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Successful in preparing scholars for college and achievement in higher education.
- Free of cost.
SMASH scholars spend five weeks each summer at a SMASH site on a college campus immersed in rigorous STEM classes. SMASH Scholars live on campus for five weeks each summer (after their 9th, 10th and 11th grade years) with other high potential Black, Latino/a, Native American, Southeast Asian or Pacific Islander high school students.
SMASH scholars also receive year-round academic support including access to SAT prep online materials, college counseling, financial aid workshops and other activities to ensure continued academic success. SMASH is expanding to additional college campuses nationwide in the future.
- To encourage a sense of social responsibility through promotion of critical thinking, civic awareness and leadership.
- To prepare students of color from groups that are underrepresented in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to be competitive in STEM related studies at top universities.
- To educate students about graduate school opportunities and encourage them to eventually attend in order to further pursue professional, STEM-related studies or careers.
SMASH is currently located at...
University of California Berkeley: SMASH has been operating at UC Berkeley since 2004. Meet the staff:
SMASH:Berkeley Students can access the portal HERE (requires login)
Located at Stanford: SMASH has been located at Stanford since 2011. Meet the staff:
SMASH:located at Stanford Students can access the portal HERE (requires login)
University of California Los Angeles: SMASH has been operating at UCLA since 2012 in partnership with the Center of Excellence in Engineering and Diversity (CEED). Meet the staff:
SMASH:UCLA Students can access the portal HERE (requires login)
SMASH:USC Students can access the portal HERE (requires login)
Apply to SMASH
9th grade students who meet the eligibility criteria are encouraged to apply to the SMASH Academy. Visit the Eligibility Requirements page for more information and to access the online application.
Work for SMASH
The Education Department of LPFI is seeking passionate educators, facilitators, mentors and high-energy professionals to join our instructional team at SMASH Academy. Visit JOIN OUR TEAM for job descriptions and application.