At SMASH: Prep our goal is to facilitate the growth of young men who not only excel in STEM, but are also critically-aware, social-conscious, and oriented toward social justice, and equipped to employ their STEM knowledge for the betterment of their local, National, and Global communities.
SMASH: Prep, in collaboration with the Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI), is working to develop a STEM educational pipeline for African-American males to combat the systemic educational inequities and societal challenges faced by these students in their schools and communities and equip them with the skills and experiences necessary to improve their educational success and life opportunities. This educational pipeline project specifically focuses on preparing African-American males to be successful in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, which are projected to be the fastest growing and highest-paying occupations of the future, thus providing students and their families/communities critical opportunities for economic advancement. Moreover, by virtue of its additional focus on social justice and self-sufficiency, SMASH: Prep aims to support students in becoming not only scientists, but also active global citizens.
To learn more about this innovative program, please make it a point to attend one of the following information sessions, listed below. (Also, if you plan to attend, please RSVP at: firstname.lastname@example.org):
SMASH: Prep Information Sessions
SMASH: Prep serves African American males who have demonstrated both an aptitude and interest in math and science. Its curriculum is designed for sixth through eighth graders and will increase the participants' college and STEM aspirations.
- Monday, May 26th: 5:30-6:30pm @ 2201 Broadway
Avenue, Suite 101, Oakland
- Tuesday, May 27th: 5:30-6:30pm @ 2201
Broadway Avenue, Suite 101, Oakland
May 29th: 5:30-6:30pm @ 2201 Broadway Avenue, Suite 101, Oakland
June 6th: 5:30-6:30pm @ 2201 Broadway Avenue, Suite 101,
SMASH: Prep is...
- A Year-round holistic STEM enrichment program for middle school aged African American males (we are seeking current 5th graders).
- Seeking to increase candidates for SMASH Academy and other similar STEM-focused programs.
- Improving mathematics and science knowledge while developing the scholars' critical thinking skills.
- Building positive scholar identity and providing exposure to role models and experiences that reinforce academic excellence.
- Free of cost
SMP Scheduling: Important Dates
- May 1st-June 6th: Recruitment
- July 15th: Application Deadline
- August 8th & 9th: In-person Interviews & Math Assessment
- August 20th: Selection Notification
- August 31st: Orientation for Accepted Scholars
- September 13th: SMASH: Prep Begins
What type of scholar are we looking for?
- Must be an African
- Be in the 6th grade
Fall 2014 (i.e., they apply to this program during their 5th grade year);
- Demonstrate aptitude,
interest and proficiency in math;
- Reside in Alameda or
West Contra Costa County;
- Attend a public or
charter school at the time of selection (August 2014).
- Qualify for free and reduced lunch; and,
- Be a first generation college student (i.e., neither parent has
earned a 4 year degree).
SMP 2014-2015 Schedule
09/13/14: Session 1-Assessment
09/27/14: Session 2
10/11/14: Session 3
10/25/14: Session 4-Field Trip
11/08/14: Session 5
11/22/14: Session 6
12/06/14: Session 7
12/20/14: Session 8-Field Trip
01/17/15: Session 9
01/31/15: Session 10: Potluck
02/14/15: Session 11
02/28/15: Session 12
03/14/15: Session 13-Field trip
03/28/15: Session 15
04/18/15: Session 16
04/25/15: Session 17
05/09/15: Session 18
05/16/15: Session 19
05/30/15: Session 20-Assessment
06/06/15: Yearend Celebration